This is a favourite dessert at Outward Bound that can easily be adapted for a gluten free variety.
- 175 g butter, softened (substitute margarine for dairy free)
- 1 and ½ c caster sugar
- 2 tbsp grated orange rind
- 4 large eggs
- ½ c low fat yoghurt (substitute thick coconut cream for dairy free)
- ½ c orange juice
- 1 and ½ c plain flour (substitute ground almond for gluten free)
- ½ c poppy seeds
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 160˚C.
- Grease and flour a 20cm ring tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale.
- Add orange zest and eggs, one by one, beating well.
- Fold in yoghurt and orange juice.
- Sift in flour, baking soda and poppy seeds.
- Fold to combine.
- Pour into tin. Bake 50 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes before turning out.
- 1 c orange juice
- ½ c lemon juice
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- ½ c sugar
- Combine ingredients in pan.
- Bring to boil and simmer until thick and syrupy.
- Pour hot syrup over cake to serve with cream and/or yoghurt.