Help Ukrainian Teenagers Build Resilience and Leadership Skills - Outward Bound

Help Ukrainian Teenagers Build Resilience and Leadership Skills

Inspirational, Fundraising

Valued supporter and alumni Heather Black (Scott 383) has been volunteering at a refugee centre in Romania where she has met many incredible teenagers who have had their lives and their stability disrupted by the war in Ukraine.

To offer hope and support, Heather has set up a GiveALittle page to raise money to send displaced Ukrainian teenagers on an Outward Bound course at the OB school in neighbouring Romania. 

Kia ora koutou! 

My name is Heather Black and I’m a passionate and dedicated OB alumni who is raising money to send displaced Ukrainian teenagers to an Outward Bound course in neighbouring Romania.

In April I began volunteering at a refugee centre in Romania, where I met some incredible young people whose lives and stability have been disrupted by the war Russia continues to wage on their home country.

These high school students are juggling their school curriculum, online, whilst learning Romanian and English to cope with their new environment. On top of this, they are volunteering at the refugee centre where they help to cook, clean, take care of younger children, make beds and sort donations.

They are the future of Ukraine and I believe they would benefit immensely from some structured leadership and resiliency training to help them deal with the challenges that lie ahead for them and for their families.

The money I want to raise is for a group of 11 students and one adult translator/liaison to act as support throughout their journey. This person is likely to be a Ukrainian refugee themselves i.e. someone who understands their situation.

The money raised would cover the course fees for a group of 11 students plus a liaison officer, to attend the Outward Bound school in Sovata, Romania, their transport from refugee centres across Romania (to the school and back) plus the equipment they need e.g. tramping boots and cold weather clothing.

If the funds can be raised, the school can organise a 10 day course for October 2022.

Please join me to support eleven young Ukrainians to experience the life-changing opportunity of an Outward Bound course.

Please donate here

Refugees Alina (left) and Yasya (right) peacefully protesting

Heather at the Outward Bound Romania School

Ukrainian refugees in a Romanian city square